Tuesday 1 March 2011

Union Insanity in Wisonsin

My take on this is pro-union since so far I have yet to hear any sufficient argument that would make me feel that there is really anything bad about a union.  I have personally attended a rally for a union at the congress hotel in downtown Chicago.  The owner was a wealthy man who wanted to pay his workers as little as he could and give them the least benefits he could while having them work for him.  They got sick of it and unionized and have been protesting for some seven years now.  It is terrible and so many people lost their jobs from it and have been facing terrible hardship as a result.  I sympathize greatly with union workers and think it is one thing that above all gives the workers something to defend themselves from greedy corporations. 
I therefore think that the ability to unionize should be a protected, rather than a restricted, right.  I think my stance was most eloquently worded in the article by Linda Kaboolian stating, "While the rich get richer and middle class prospects diminish, they've seen every opportunity to level the playing field crippled by the same people who supported Governor Walker’s election," (See article here).  I get sick of the unethical ways of corporate ideology.  my dad works in partnership with Microsoft so I reap the benefits of big business but at the same time he is a successful entrepreneur so he has started five successful business which does something to counteract the association with corporate America. 

In the other article I read it went into startling specifics of other corrupt policies proposed by the clearly flawed and misguided bill such as, "the department may sell any state-owned heating, cooling, and power plant or may contract with a private entity for the operation of any such plant, with or without solicitation of bids, for any amount that the department determines to be in the best interest of the state,"  (see NYT article).  This gives unchecked power to the gouvernment.  This is a direct contradiction to the basis of our entire democracy.  i feel this should not be allowed to happen and I hope it does not rear its ugly face for much longer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment